Summer is upon us, the time of year when we can retire our coats and sweaters and head outdoors to bask in the warm glow of the sun. We’re eager to enjoy being out of the house for a change, socializing with friends and family the way we couldn’t; being cooped up at home during the colder months.
While getting out there sounds fun and exciting, you may be feeling a bit reluctant. Warmer weather often means less clothing; showing off your body, and you aren’t comfortable displaying yourself in that manner. You may have planned to lose those extra pounds, but all too often life seems to get in the way.
Well, now it’s time for a change! You are ready to start taking responsibility for your own happiness. Only you can take action to get the body you’ve always dreamed of, and nobody is stopping you but yourself. Let’s make summer 2019 one to remember!
Hitting the gym and dieting are great ways to improve your appearance, but most of us feel we never truly reach our goals. Some of us have been exercising and dieting for years but can’t seem to get the results we desire. That is where Dr. John S. Silverton, a highly trained and experienced plastic surgeon, can aid you in your journey to helping you achieve the body you’ve always wanted.
Battling the Bulge
Potbelly, love handles, muffin tops, you’ve heard them all. The abdominal area is one of the most stubborn places on the body to lose fat. This part of the body is very often the root cause of our insecure feelings regarding our bodies, not wanting to wear that fitting shirt or summer dress.
Liposuction (lipoplasty) can literally suck the fat right out of your most stubborn areas. We have all experience those seemingly endless sessions on the treadmill or starving ourselves to lose those stubborn pounds, but we can never seem to lose fat where we want to. Now you can, as liposuction will specifically target your problem areas.
A liposuction procedure is accomplished by selectively placing a tube in areas of excess fat at which time a controlled suction is applied, permanently removing fat cells from your body. Liposuction is generally considered a safe outpatient procedure with the time taken to complete often dictated by how many areas need to be treated. The recovery period after liposuction is relatively quick with most patients able to return to their normal routines within a few days while still avoiding strenuous activities until complete recovery.
A potential concern with rapidly removing fat from the body may be excess skin left behind. Depending on how much fat is removed you may have now aesthetically displeasing loose skin to deal with, but this can be remedied with a tummy tuck procedure.
Achieving a Flat Stomach
A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) can help eliminate loose hanging skin by toning and reshaping the abdominal wall, removing excess skin and fat. Tummy tucks can also be beneficial for those who have been successful with weight loss through diet and exercise or new moms now stuck with an excess of loose hanging skin off their abdomens. A tummy tuck can also grant relief from annoying skin chafing and rash development, giving you’re the ability to lead a more active lifestyle that is was once hampered by flabby skin.
For those looking to reduce the downtime required after performing tummy tuck surgery, the alternative mini-tummy tuck procedure (mini-abdominoplasty) may be just what you are looking for. Being significantly less invasive, mini-tummy tucks allow for shorter recovery times with less discomfort and significantly reduces the appearance of scars compared to undergoing a more traditional tummy tuck. However, there are limitations for performing a mini-tummy tuck and may not be optimal for all patients.
It is important to keep in mind that while liposuction and tummy tucks can help you achieve your ideal body shape, staying fit thereafter is highly recommended. Permanently removing fat cells and/or removing excess skin from your body may lead to uneven fat distribution if excessive weight is regained, potentially giving off an unpleasant body shape. This is why Dr. Silverton encourages those seeking liposuction or a tummy tuck to first stabilize their weight before undergoing either procedure and continuing to eat healthily and exercising regularly to maintain their achieved results.
Enhancing Your Attributes
Achieving the perfect summer body may take more than getting rid of excess fat. You may feel that your look can become complete by enhancing certain attributes of yourself, giving that extra sex appeal to make heads turn. Breast augmentation is one such procedure that can give you the figure you’ve always dreamed of.
Breast augmentation need not only be for those looking to increase their bust size but also for those seeking to make their breasts appear fuller and more youthful, emphasizing a more pronounced hourglass figure. Women who have been pregnant, breastfed, lost weight, or are simply older may feel their breasts look stretched or deflated, often taking a toll on confidence levels. Breast augmentation with a complimentary breast lift can help reverse the effects of time helping to regain your femininity.
Different Types of Breast Implants
The primary method employed by breast augmentation is by using breast implants that are surgically placed inside the existing breast area creating a fuller and perfectly contoured appearance. There are fundamentally two types of implants to choose from; saline (sterile salt water) or silicone gel implants, with variations of both available depending on the manufacturer. Both will give you your desired size and shape with each having certain benefits or limitations. Ultimately the choice to use either will come down to the doctor’s recommendation and your personal preference.
Choosing the right sized implants is arguably the most important decision when considering breast augmentation. Obtaining substantially large breasts will certainly provide a more eye-catching appearance but at the cost of limiting your ability to be more active, such as when running or jumping. Larger breast implants may also lead to neck and back pain due to the increased weight added to your cheat area.
When unsure which size implant is right for you, opting to first try out various implant sizes externally in a larger bra can help determine your comfort level and how you feel living day to day with larger breasts. This notion was supported by a 2010 study1 that found women were more satisfied with their chosen breast enlargement when properly sized before proceeding with the breast augmentation.
Once a breast augmentation procedure is completed it will take up to six weeks to reach full recovery. While many women will tend to feel fine much sooner, it is still recommended to take it easy during this period, refraining from lifting heavy objects or performing vigorous exercise. It is important to keep in mind that you will be required to wear a bra at all times during the recovery period following breast augmentation surgery. This is to ensure your new breast implants remain stable and promote proper healing. Recovery bras are specifically designed for this purpose while also promoting adequate blood circulation and proper lymph drainage.
With Dr. Silverton’s decades of experience, you can feel confident knowing his full expertise will be at your disposal. His keen sense of artistic beauty will aid you in determining the most appropriate form of breast augmentation suited for your body type. Dr. Silverton will ensure that all your concerns are met, but most importantly keep your safety in the highest regard.
Not Ready to Go Under the Knife?
For those apprehensive to commit to more invasive kinds of procedures, several non-surgical options are available to help you reach your aesthetic goals. As we get older, the years of smiles, frowns, and other facial contractions develop into noticeable lines on our faces, becoming a significant indicator of our age. Wrinkles, folds, and other signs of aging make us feel as if we have lost our glow, taking a hit to our self-esteem in the process.
Dermal injections are a great option to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, obtain fuller lips, or even improve symmetry among facial features. Although temporary, dermal injections can help rejuvenate your skin and facial features, erasing the signs of aging! Best of all is the lack of downtime required, as you can virtually go about your day as normal after the procedure is complete. The following are some of the most commonly used dermal injections to help get you back to enjoying your summer as quickly as possible!
- Botox®: Perhaps the most popular form in injectable, Botox® can help you eliminate wrinkles around the eyes, forehead, and other unwanted facial creases we develop as we get older. It works by relaxing the facial muscles where injected leaving a smooth and youthful appearance. Botox® sessions typically 15-20 minutes, with its effects lasting from 3-4 months. However, prolonged Botox® use has been known to reduce the appearance of wrinkles even when stopping treatments completely.
- Juvéderm®: A brand of dermal filler, this injectable is available in several different variants depending on your needs. Juvéderm® Ultra, Ultra Plus, and Volbella are useful for smoothing out creases or adding volume and fullness to your lips. Each type varies in terms of the amount of fullness desired and longevity. Juvéderm® works by stimulating the production collagen, a form of connective tissue that plumps the skin. Procedures generally take between 15-60 minutes depending on the areas being treated, with results lasting from six months to two years depending on the type of product used. Juvéderm® Voluma is also available which can provide a lift to sagging cheeks and increase tissue volume.
- Kybella®: This product can help you improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat located below the chin. Having a double-chin can be the source of much embarrassment, often making us look much older and heavier than we actually are, affecting self-esteem. Kybella® works destroying fat cells when injected into the fat beneath the chin, resulting in a noticeable reduction in the fullness of this area. Procedures take about 15-20 minutes to complete with the number of treatments depending on the amount of accumulated fat and your desired facial profile. It may take about 3-4 weeks for results to become appreciable.
Using the Latest Technology
Having stubborn fat can be quite frustrating as it seems no amount of diet and exercise can get rid of it. Invasive procedures, such as liposuction or tummy tuck, have been shown to be effective solutions, but you feel that the extra fat you’re carrying doesn’t warrant such invasive procedures, or you are simply not ready to head to the operating room just yet.
With the advancement of medical technology, several options are now available that can help you sculpt and contour your problem areas, effectively melting the fat away. The following are some options available to you.
- truSculpt 3D: Clinically proven to permanently remove stubborn abdominal fat, truSculpt 3D can offer personalized body sculpting for any shape or body type. In as little as 60 minutes, truSclupt 3D can aid in reshaping your dimensions and improve definition. The procedure works by using monopolar radiofrequency technology to selectively target fat tissue and therapeutically heat it. This process allows your body to quickly eliminate fat and allow your body to process it naturally. On average, patients will see a 24% fat reduction after 12 weeks. One advantage truSculpt has over similar techniques is that it can also improve the firmness of skin during the process by stimulating the production of collagen.
- Ultherapy: Used to treat loose or sagging skin on the chin, along the jawline, neck, and eyebrow, Ultherapy can help tighten the skin and even improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles. The treatment works by using focused ultrasound to boost collagen production in the skin, allowing your skin to become firmer and more youthful. Results are typically slow and gradual, with noticeable results often taking a few weeks to months to appear, but can effectively help revitalize your skin.
Your Choice of Doctor Is Vital
Whether you are ready to go under the knife or opt for a less invasive type of procedure, making the decision to take your own happiness into your hands is the first step to true self-satisfaction. Not a single person on this planet knows how it is to live in your shoes, what it takes to make you feel beautiful, or how your appearance makes you feel inside. But there are people that can help you find your way through your own personal journey to physical perfection, offering years of experience, expertise, and compassion.
Dr. John S. Silverton is one such person and is committed to making you the best version of yourself possible. Dr. Silverton is his talented team will ensure that every concern you may have is addressed making sure any cosmetic procedure you choose to pursue is a comfortable and rewarding experience.
Schedule a personalized consultation today in the Stockton, CA area at (209) 952-2251.